Daydream: Google's Move in VR

• 0_1471502485435_daydream-5.jpg

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif.—As we've been obsessively tracking for about a year and a half now, Google is making a big push into virtual reality. This week at I/O 2016, the company is finally ready to talk about its VR ambitions, and the first news out of the gate is about the "Virtual Reality Mode" built into Android N Developer Preview 3. Google is also announcing a hardware certification program that allows an Android phone to earn the title "VR ready," and the first "VR ready" phone will be the Nexus 6P.
    0_1471500468405_Android-VR-HTC-Vive2-640x487.jpg
    Google has done a lot of work whipping Android into shape for VR with Android N DP 3. Previously Google's only smartphone VR project was "Cardboard," a cardboard box with plastic lenses that could hold a smartphone. Cardboard gave a rough approximation of VR at a very low cost, but it wasn't a serious platform for real VR immersion.

"Google currently has Cardboard, but Cardboard worked in spite of Android, if you'd like," explained Android VP of Engineering Dave Burke to Ars. "It's clever and simple but we never did anything at the platform level to make it work. With N, we have." In Android N, those changes come down to improving motion-to-photon latency—how quickly you can get the display pixels to change in response to your head moving. When you move in VR, the sensors detect the movement, signal the GPU to draw new frames, and those frames get sent to the display to be drawn. If this doesn't happen fast enough, you'll feel sick.

Credit to Ron Amadeo @ ARS Technica:
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/05/android-vr-os-gets-a-virtual-reality-mode-and-vr-ready-smartphones/?comments=1

• I couldn't help but notice this Android with HTC is so FUGLY. I mean funny & ugly:baby_tone2:

• HAHAHAHAHAHAHA U R SO DAMN RIGHT. The guy must dumped HTC VR on Android's face:boy:

• @Elroy Looks like a bug on its face

• Lol u guys:bow_tone2: